- About Us
- Academic Program Review
- General Education
Academic Program Reviews
The Office of Academic Planning and Assessment oversees the Academic Program Reviews (APRs) required every five years for all departments and programs to provide them with an opportunity to reflect on and improve their programs. APRs are conducted in all schools and colleges of the University in order to encourage departments to evaluate their academic programs and activities as a faculty and use the results to improve what they are doing. An overview of the APR timeline is provided below. Prior to conducting an APR, departments should view the complete timetable for the entire process, the specific guidelines for the self study portion of the APR, and additional resources to assist departments in carrying out their reviews. Questions regarding these guidelines may be directed to the appropriate dean’s office or to Cheryl Beil, Associate Provost for Academic Planning and Assessment at email@example.com or 202-994-6712.
Please note that, effective January 2014, the Guidelines for Self-Study have been revised. The new Guidelines are better aligned with departments' annual reports required in CCAS and focus more on the analysis rather than the reporting of data.
GW has leased a data management software tool, TaskStream, to collect, manage, and store information and reports related to the self study and yearly program assessments. The self study report should be submitted to the Office of the Dean and to the Office of the Associate Provost for Academic Planning and Assessment electronically through TaskStream. More information about TaskStream and quick start guides on how to use it can be found at: academicplanning.gwu.edu/taskstream.
APR Timetable: An Overview
View the complete timetable for more details.
First Eight Months
- Preparation of Self-Study: organization of Self-Study, compilation of data, drafting of sections of the report in TaskStream
- Analysis of Data: strategic planning, and completion and submission of Self-Study
- Dean appoints and charges a GW Internal Review Committee (IRC) consisting of three colleagues from other departments within the University. The committee may in some cases benefit from inclusion of an individual from outside the University such as a practitioner in the field for which the program prepares students.
Next Six Months
- GW Internal Review: The GW IRC convenes, reviews the Self-Study, meets with chair and ideally with selected faculty and students, deliberates, and submits its Internal Review Report to the dean
- Department Response: The department/program has an opportunity to respond to the report in writing
- External Review
Final Four Months
- Review by the AP-APA: The Associate Provost for Academic Planning and Assessment reviews the entire portfolio and prepares a memo for the Provost
- Meeting with the Provost: The Provost, Senior Vice Provost, Associate Provost, dean, chair of the department/program, and a faculty member selected by chair meet to discuss results.
- Final Memo from the Provost
- If requested, a progress report is submitted two years after the conclusion of the review
- The next academic program review is scheduled for 5 years after the conclusion of the review
New Guidelines (January 2014; minor revisions 2017)
- Guidelines for Conducting a Self-Study, Revised January 2014
- Quick Start Guide for Accessing and Using Taskstream for GW Academic Program Review Workspaces
Old Guidelines (revised February 2013)